Local 237's Education Department/Education Fund provides a wide variety of education programs for Citywide and Housing Division members of Local 237. The Department strives to equip our members with the skills they need to meet the challenges of the ever-changing and increasingly technologically-advanced workplace. These skills will qualify members for promotional titles and new job opportunities.
The Department is constantly working to find new education opportunities for members that result in public certification of skills and abilities. In addition, the Department has broadened its scope to include educational activities that enable members to advance their careers even beyond those titles represented by Local 237. We have been instrumental in creating sensitive and relevant adult college degree programs for our members with several divisions of the City University of New York. These include an evening college B.A. program through the City College of New York and an M.A. program in Public Administration through Brooklyn College, geared to careers in New York City government.
The Education Department provides college counseling for degree selections, but does not provide tuition assistance for courses members may take. Members may be eligible for scholarships for college tuition, professional courses or certifications not offered by Local 237’s Education Department.
All classes are for Local 237 members ONLY. All members will be verified before course enrollment.
Below is a list of courses that you may click on to sign up for online. For a full list of courses and other details, click here.
- Associate Water Use Inspector Civil Service Class
- Computer Classes
- Evidence and Property Control Specialist Class Cancelled
- Maintenance Worker Civil Service Class
- Superintendent Civil Service Class
Fall 2017/Spring 2018 Classes
- School Safety Agent – Continuous Computerized Testing Beginning July
- Maintenance Worker - Filing Begins in August 2017
- Resident Building Superintendent - Filing Begins in August 2017
- Associate Water Use Inspector - Filing Begins in September 2017
- Evidence and Property Control Specialist - Filing Begins in October 2017
- Special Officer – Continuous Computerized Testing Beginning October
- Housing Manager - Filing Begins in November 2017
- Supervising Blasting Inspector – QIE Exam (NOT Promotional) – Filing Begins in November 2017
- School Food Service Manager – Filing Begins December 2017
- Commissary Manager - QIE Exam (NOT Promotional) – Filing Begins in December 2017
- Bridge Operator – Filing Begins in January 2018
- Cement Mason – Filing Begins in January 2018
- Supervising Special Officer – Filing Begins in January 2018
- Senior Photographer - QIE Exam (NOT Promotional) – Filing Begins in January 2018
- Supervisor of Motor transport – QIE Exam (NOT Promotional) – Filing Begins in March 2018
- Housing Exterminator – Filing Begins in May 2018
These sign-ups will become available closer to the date of filing. Check back for updates.
|Education Division Staff|
|Shanell Grayson||Assistant Directorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Katie Grate||Department Secretaryemail@example.com|
|216 West 14th Street, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10011
Tel. : (212) 807-0550
Email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The more you know, the more you make. It's that simple!
To help you do so, Local 237's Education Department offers courses year-round to help members acquire the skills they need to meet the challenges of an increasingly technological workplace. The department also offers classes that prepare members for promotional exams and the GED diploma.
If you are interested in a class listed below, please call Local 237's Education and Training Department for registration dates and class schedule.
- Adult Basic Education (ABE)
- General Equivalency Diploma Preparation (GED)
- English As A Second Language (ESL)
- Spanish As A Second Language (SSL)
- Keyboarding -- Learn the basic function of the computer keyboard
- Introduction to Microsoft Word
CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION PREPARATION CLASSES
- Civil Service Exam preparation classes are offered for all examinations for which members are eligible. Please check examinations announcements regularly (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/exam_monthly.shtml) for titles that may be of interest to you.
- Prepare before you apply!
- pdf How to Take a Test (238 KB)
PEACE OFFICER TRAINING MATERIALS
Most classes will meet in the evening hours or weekends.
The Education Department also provides free counseling for degree programs at two- or four-year colleges. The department, however, does not provide tuition assistance for those programs members may wish to take. If you don't see the course in which you are interested, or you would like more information on all our classes, including those not listed here, please call the Education Department at 212-807-0550.